Monday, September 1, 2008

Late Night Reflections 1

I was driving east on 80, about midnight, moon three quarters full. Joe Frank show from the “Somehwere Out There Series” called “The Sacred”. At one point, Joe says that he often wonders if the true story of crucifixion is that we are all really the ones who are crucified, but that everyone’s crucifixion is only visible on their hearts, so no one can see anyone's personal measure of pain, not even their own.


At that point I was passing the Tiffany Co. on Parisppany Road, where the Super Bowl trophy is crafted each year. Then I reflected that Whippany was the source of the very first TV broadcast in the history of the world, in 1927. And I thought, who would ever know that such a innocuous, faceless stretch of suburbia gave rise to the two of the more important components of our culture’s great profane holiday?

Joe went on as I was pulling into my driveway, challenging God to turn all the furniture in the recording studio to dust, or to set his microphone on fire. Of course, none of this happened. I turned off the car, got out and looked to the night sky. For the first time in my life, after countless late night gazes and disappointments, I saw the Milky Way.

I can string together a series of coincidences/syncronicities like that and almost create a Frogger path to eternity with them. Perhaps if my father had been able to leap frog in this manner he would not have died in a state of such fear.



No comments: